I’ve entered full Christmas present production mode. Inspired by my C&G in Creative Embroidery I’ve been making things out of fabric, thread and yarn.
The items that I seem to be able to make relatively well in quite a short amount of time are notebooks – so that’s what everyone is getting (unless I learn to make something cooler and easier before Christmas – highly likely).
The pages of the notebook are A6 size cut from A4 printer paper. For some of the notebooks I interspersed some pages of coloured photocopy paper in shades that matched the cover. When all the pages are cut I stacked them up aligning the two uncut sides. I squared the stack up as much as possible and then clamped it between two pieces of paper covered wood with the long cut edge poking out. This edge will be the spine.
I perfect bound the spine with lashings of PVA glue. First a coat of watered down PVA to creep into the pages and bind them together and then a thick coat of unadulterated PVA. This was left overnight to set.
Meanwhile I made the cover, using the same technique as for the needlecase I had made myself. Fabric and yarn scraps sandwiched between thick interfacing and a sheer, the scraps are secured to the interfacing with bondaweb.
The interior of the notebook and the cover done all I had to do was attach these two pieces together. I cut another piece of coloured A4, in half this time – to A5 size. These pieces were to act as the inside cover. I folded them in half and pritt-sticked one half to the outer page of the inside, and PVA’ed the other side to the inside of the cover.