It was a friend’s birthday on Friday, his 30th, and he’s a guy and hence hard to buy presents for. I was mulling over ideas and thought about making something out of fabric, which is one of my few talents and my current priority hobby.
A quick rummage in the fabric stash and I came up with some heavy red and green cotton. This immediately lead me to the idea of a Welsh flag motif. My friend’s Welsh and something he was miffed about recently was that his bank are no longer going to be providing him with a credit card with the Welsh dragon on, instead he’ll have to make do with a bog-standard one.
So there’s no chance that I could make a Welsh dragon logo on anything smaller than A4 size without it looking rubbish – so the plan was formed: it would have to be a cushion cover. A quick rummage in the airing cupboard came up with an uncovered cushion and I was ready to go.
Cushions are square so cutting the green and white cotton to size was pretty easy. I went for double thickness as the fabrics were slightly to thin for upholstery use. It was the work of moments to whip up the front and two back pieces.
Next – the dragon. That was more of a challenge. I printed out an A4 size outline of the flag dragon and pinned it to a board, I then pinned the fabric over the drawing and traced the dragon with a black fabric marker. I ironed some fuseable interfacing to the back of the dragon and cut him out. This was all the easy bit. Next came the time consuming bit which was to pin and baste the dragon onto the cushion front. Slightly quicker, but still pretty time consuming was the process of machine stitching the dragon to the cushion.
Dragon done I quickly whizzed the cushion front to the cushion backs, turned it right-side out for a final iron, and then marvelled at the fact that it had turned out alright. Check it out:
Dan’s also going with the handmade present theme, and I’ll add a link to his post about his present when he blogs about it.
I’m hoping my friend likes his present, but personally I’m just chuffed that I can go from fabric stash, to idea, to design, execution and completion over two evenings if I put my back into it. This is definitely one of my more successful creative projects of late.